CYCLING TOURS AND HOLIDAYS | TOUR DE FRANCE
6-19 JULY 2020 | Pencil in your spot now …
Tour de France Itinerary 2020
The official 2020 itinerary won't be released until late October 2019. That's purely because the race route isn't finalised until then. In saying that - we have spies in France that give us some advance warning and we will have all our hotel bookings in place by August this year. This particular trip is very popular and we are happy to take advance bookings. The deposit is $750.00 however this deposit is refundable. (see note below) If you don't like the final itinerary when released (October) then you can have your money back. (please note, not many people cancel) We are certain that Mont Ventoux will be on the agenda next year and we're also expecting Alp d'Huez to be there as well. The dates (6-19 July) shouldn't change. They are one week earlier than previous years to allow for the Tokyo Olympics. We expect our tour to start in Paris and finish in Toulouse. The 19th of July is a Sunday and is the last stage. Traditionally held on the Champs Elysees in Paris. We can easily help you with a flight to Paris, accommodation and a grandstand ticket right on the finish line.
The itinerary shouldn't be far removed from the itinerary below was based on 2017 and should be fairly close to the 2020 route. Although we really want to go back to Annecy if possible. (because it's beautiful)
- Monday 6 Jul - Arrive Paris
- Tuesday 7 Jul - Drive towards the Alps and ride that afternoon. (stay in a chateau)
- Wednesday 8 Jul - Alps cycling (Alpe d'Huez)
- Thursday 9 Jul - TdF stage in the Alps - Galibier, Telegraph
- Friday 10 July - Hot chocolate on d'Izoard
- Saturday 11 July - Alps - Provence via Pra Loup
- Sunday 12 July - Provence's beautiful villages
- Monday 13 July - Mont Ventoux - TdF.
- Tuesday 14 July - Drive to Pyrenees via Carcassonne
- Wednesday 15 July - TdF on Hautacam
- Thursday 16 July - BBQ on Aubisque and Soulor
- Friday 17 July - TdF Queen stage ideally on Tourmalet
- Saturday 18 July - One final Pyrenees ride before we drive to Toulouse.
- Sunday 19 July - Tour concludes at breakfast. We can easily arrange travel to Paris for the final stage as our hotel is based at the airport.
Traditionally - this trip has 36 clients and 8 staff. This is the perfect size. There will be 30 cyclists and roughly 5-6 non-riders. Having a reasonably large group of cyclists means that you will never ride alone. There's a guide for every 6 cyclists. Very quickly you will find a small group of a similar ability and stay with them for the majority of the tour. Team Macchiato (non-riders) will have their own guide and separate itinerary although you will join us for the TdF stages. Our van has a v.i.p stickler which means it can sail through all the road closures and firmly plant you at the top of the hill even when there's ½ million people sitting on it.
You will not lose weight on this trip. Yes, you ride and walk a lot. However, you are very well fed and watered. We include most if not all evening meals.
The cost will be in the $8500.00 vicinity. NZD permitting. It's slightly more in 2019 because we managed to include a v.i.p entry at a race start.
We'll target 4 or 5 key TdF stages. There is zero point on seeing a flat TdF stage. We'd prefer to go on a really good bike ride.
It's all about the little things… We meet in Taupo for a social training weekend prior to leaving for France. It's great to break the ice and also gives you the chance to ask me any questions. That weekend is usually the start of our 10 week training program.
Finally - our team have been doing this for a long time. We think we've found the perfect mixture or riding, TdF, good hotels, food and wine. We'd love you to join us. If you book now then the deposit is $750.00. Which is 100% refundable if you don't like the tour when it's released in October 2019. If you do want to proceed then you'll need to top your deposit up to $2500.00. The balance is due 90 days prior to departure.
See you in 2020.